By Kelechi Opara, in Abuja
In a quick response to the violence that that unfolded during the peaceful protests over the rising cost of living, Governor Abba Yusuf of Kano state on Thursday announced the immediate imposition of a 24-hour curfew throughout the state.
This was contained in a statement issued by governor’s spokesperson, Sunusi Bature which was made available to newsmen on Thursday.
Bature said the decision was taken at an emergency State Security Council meeting which particularly addressed the escalating violence and disruptions that emerged in parts of the state during the civil demonstrations.
The statement further recalled that Gov. Yusuf had on July 31 cautioned against the protest because of security reports that it could be hijacked by hoodlums.
“On July 31, 2024, the governor convened a town hall meeting with various stakeholders, including religious leaders, business representatives, traditional leaders, academia, technocrats, youth and women’s groups, and civil society organizations.
“During the meeting, the governor recognized the constitutional right of citizens to peacefully protest and expressed a commitment to addressing their concerns, assuring that their grievances would be forwarded to Mr. President and Commander in Chief for consideration.
“This morning, the representatives of the peaceful protesters submitted their demands in writing, which the governor pledged to deliver to the President.
“While he commended the majority of demonstrators who voiced their concerns in a responsible manner, he expressed his disappointment that the protest had been hijacked by thugs and hoodlums who engaged in rampant looting, destruction of property, and violence against innocent citizens”.
The statement added that Governor Yusuf had emphasized that such actions, allegedly fueled by antagonistic elements, threaten the safety and security of all citizens and must therefore be addressed vigorously.
Bature added that to preserve public and private property, the decision to implement a curfew was made unanimously during the emergency meeting.
“The imposition of this curfew is a necessary measure to restore order and ensure the safety of our communities,” said the governor. “It is paramount that we protect our citizens from further harm and preserve the sanctity of our state’s institutions and businesses.”
The governor called on all citizens to remain vigilant and united during this challenging time.
“Let us not allow the actions of a few selfish individuals to divide us. Together, we can navigate these challenges and fortify our resolve to build a stronger, more resilient Kano State.
“All security agencies in the state have been directed to ensure full compliance with the curfew, and citizens are urged to heed this directive for their safety and the well-being of all,” thye statement concluded.