By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Citizenship DailyCitizenship Daily
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Health
    News
    Show More
    Top News
    Incessant killings, kidnappings: Kaduna community appeals for military formation
    November 24, 2024
    Middle Belt Christian Forum condemns senseless killings in Benue
    June 20, 2025
    Tiv group frowns at claims Yelwata belongs to Keana in Nasarawa
    August 11, 2025
    Latest News
    NABTEB, NECO inaugurate joint committee to harmonise operations
    February 16, 2026
    Kaduna inaugurates medical gas pipeline with UNICEF support
    February 10, 2026
    Reps commits to stronger anti-graft fight as EFCC recovers ₦566bn
    February 9, 2026
    Obi joins protest at National Assembly, calls for end to electoral manipulation
    February 9, 2026
  • Business
    BusinessShow More
    Dangote Refinery dismisses shutdown claims, maintains 50 million litres PMS daily output
    January 5, 2026
    Benue investment company to raise 10 bn Naira bond to build cement factory
    December 23, 2025
    Dangote Cement Unveils Multi-Million-Naira Social Interventions in Gboko Communities
    December 22, 2025
    Dangote, Kano Govt deepen ties at 2025 Trade Fair
    November 30, 2025
    Small, medium enterprises hold 20th international exhibition in Abuja
    November 23, 2025
  • Politics
    PoliticsShow More
    Benue: APC e-registration hits over 383,496 members, publicity scribe Ornguga says
    February 9, 2026
    Electronic transmission of polls result: Senate to hold emergency plenary sitting Tuesday
    February 8, 2026
    Wike to governors: Those who betrayed their predecessors will be betrayed
    February 8, 2026
    INEC recognizes Wike/Anyanwu-led PDP, Turaki’s NWC kicks, accuses INEC of bias  threatens legal action
    February 6, 2026
    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill, denies rejection of electronic transmission of results
    February 5, 2026
  • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • BackPage
    EditorialShow More
    ECOWAS, Africa better off united
    July 18, 2025
    ECOWAS, Africa better off united
    May 29, 2025
    End this mindless fuel price war
    May 9, 2025
    End this mindless fuel price war
    November 24, 2024
    North’s power paralysis
    November 16, 2024
  • Special Reports
  • Sports
  • e-Paper
  • …more
    • Videos
    • Photo Speaks
    • e-Paper
    • My Bookmarks
    • Contact US
Reading: MSF raises alarm over rising malnourished children in northern Nigeria
Share
Citizenship DailyCitizenship Daily
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Editorial
  • Special Reports
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Health
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Editorial
    • Opinion
    • BackPage
  • Special Reports
  • Sports
  • e-Paper
  • …more
    • Videos
    • Photo Speaks
    • e-Paper
    • My Bookmarks
    • Contact US
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Citizenship Daily > Blog > Health > MSF raises alarm over rising malnourished children in northern Nigeria
Health

MSF raises alarm over rising malnourished children in northern Nigeria

Editor
Last updated: June 4, 2024 6:17 pm
Editor Published June 4, 2024
Share
SHARE

By Mohammed Danlami

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), also known as Doctors Without Borders, has revealed that its inpatient facilities in northern Nigeria have recorded an extraordinary increase in admissions of severely malnourished children with life-threatening complications, exceeding last year’s figures by over 100 percent in some locations.

The MSF said in a statement on Tuesday that this is an alarming indication of a premature peak of the lean season and the increase in acute malnutrition that accompanies it, typically anticipated in July.

“We are resorting to treating patients on mattresses on the floor because our facilities are full. Children are dying. If immediate action is not taken, more lives hang in the balance. Everyone needs to step in to save lives and allow the children of northern Nigeria to grow free from malnutrition and its disastrous long-term, if not fatal, consequences,” says Dr Simba Tirima, MSF’s Country Representative in Nigeria.

The MSF said humanitarian assistance must be urgently scaled up, and called upon the Nigerian authorities, international organisations and donors to take immediate action to diagnose and treat malnourished children to prevent associated complications and deaths, but also to engage in sustained, long-term initiatives to mitigate the underlying causes of this urgent problem. 

“We’ve been warning about the worsening malnutrition crisis for the last two years. 2022 and 2023 were already critical, but an even grimmer picture is unfolding in 2024. We can’t keep repeating these catastrophic scenarios year after year. What will it take to make everyone take notice and act?,” adds Dr Tirima. 

In April 2024, MSF’s medical team in Maiduguri in northeast Nigeria admitted 1,250 severely malnourished children with complications to the inpatient therapeutic feeding centre, doubling the figure for April 2023.

It said it was forced to urgently scale up capacity, by the end of May, and that the centre accommodated 350 patients, far surpassing the 200 beds initially designated for the peak malnutrition season in July and August.

Also in the northeast, the MSF-operated facility in Bauchi state’s Kafin Madaki hospital recorded a significant 188 per cent increase in admissions of severely malnourished children during the first three months of 2024 compared to the same period in 2023.

In the northwestern part of the region, in Zamfara state, the inpatient centres in Shinkafi and  Zurmi have received up to 30 per cent more monthly admissions in April compared to March. Talata Mafara’s facility saw about 20 per cent increase in the same period.  Similarly, MSF inpatient facilities in major cities like Kano and Sokoto are also reporting alarming surges, by 75 and 100 per cent respectively. The therapeutic feeding centre in Kebbi state also documented a rise of more than 20 per cent in inpatient admissions from March to April.

Despite the alarming situation, the overall humanitarian response remains inadequate. Other non-profit organisations active in the north are also overwhelmed. The United Nations and Nigerian authorities issued an urgent appeal in May for $306.4 million to address the pressing nutritional needs in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states. Yet this will be insufficient, ignoring as it does other parts of northern Nigeria where needs also outweigh the current capacity of the organisations to respond sufficiently. 

The catastrophic nutritional situation seen in recent years in northern Nigeria calls for a bigger response. Persistently excluded from the formal humanitarian response, reductions in the already limited funding available for the northwest have also dangerously affected the provision of crucial therapeutic and supplementary food. These supplies were completely unavailable in Zamfara for the first four months of this year and are now only available in lower quantities. This reduction has meant that it is only possible to provide treatment for more severe malnutrition cases, compromising an effective response that also addresses malnutrition earlier in its progression and avoids exposing children to a higher risk of mortality.

“We are alarmed by the reduction in aid at these critical times. Reducing nutritional support to only severely malnourished children is akin to waiting for a child to become gravely ill before providing care. We urge donors and authorities to increase support urgently for both curative and preventive approaches, ensuring that all malnourished children receive the care they desperately need,” states Dr Tirima. 

You Might Also Like

2, 000  medical doctors in Nigeria face housemanship challenge yearly – Medical Council

U.S. policy: FG must fund HIV/AIDS services to save youths – Durfa

Media urged to champion Anaemia prevention in Nigeria

Two die of Lassa Fever in Benue 

UNICEF-backed project targets improved nutrition for mothers, infants in Kaduna

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

– Advertisement –

– Advertisement –

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

PDP laments Delta gov., deputy, Okowa, others’ defection, says it’s painful, unfortunate

Editor Editor April 24, 2025
Court bars NLC, TUC, others from  proceeding on planned protest
Come out of bush, shun killing, kidnapping, embrace peace, Gov. Alia urges Ukum youth
2027: APC stakeholders in strategy meetings to take over power in Bauchi
Uba Sani presents staff of office to new Chief of Moro’a
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics

Categories

  • News
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Business
  • Education
  • Health
  • World News
  • Opinion
  • Judiciary
  • Sports

Brief About US

Reputed in professionally promoting and defending the general good of citizens and society, by prioritising good governance and protecting the rule of law.

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© CitizenshipDaily | All Rights Reserved | Designed by AuspiceWeb
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?